Exercises to Reduce Flabby Arms
Human arms are composed of three major muscle groups: biceps brachii, triceps brachii and forearm. The issue of flabby arms is typically in reference to the upper arm, where the biceps and triceps muscles reside. Exercises that work the triceps muscles will help you reduce the hanging fat you see when you raise your arm to wave. Exercises for the biceps will also help reduce the appearance of arm fat.
- Weight-training exercises can be done using your body weight or with dumbbells. Performing these exercises with proper form will help you target the desired muscle groups. An example of improper form would be using momentum or gravity to carry you through a motion instead of using the targeted muscle. If you are a beginner, proper form should be mastered using just your body weight before adding dumbbell resistance to your exercises.
Another key to proper form and reduction of injury is to concentrate on keeping your core engaged. Do not slouch or arch your back.
- Beginners, check with your doctor before starting a new exercise regimen.
For the first two weeks, complete two to three different exercises for each muscle group. Do this twice a week on nonconsecutive days. Concentrate on proper form and make sure to breathe out when you lift and breathe in when you lower the weight. Complete one repetition of each exercise and stop when the muscle is fatigued. You’ll know the muscle is fatigued when you can no longer complete a repetition with proper form. Rest for 15 to 30 seconds between each repetition.
Over the next four weeks, work your way up to two to three sets of each exercise. For each set, complete 10 to 12 repetitions of the exercise.
- Changing your workout every 12 weeks will help encourage muscle growth. Changes can be made to the order of your exercises, the number of repetitions in each set or the exercises performed. Or use different equipment or increase the amount of weight.
If you always do biceps curls first, hammer curls second, and 21s last, try doing them in reverse order. Supersets are another option. One superset consists of two exercises that target opposing muscle groups. An example of a superset would be to do 10 repetitions of biceps curls followed immediately by 10 repetitions of triceps extensions.
If you’ve been doing three sets of 10 to 12 repetitions for the past eight weeks, try pyramid sets for the next eight weeks. An example of a pyramid set would be doing the first set for 12 repetitions with 10 pounds of resistance, the second set for 10 repetitions with 12 pounds of resistance, and the third set for eight repetitions with 15 pounds of resistance.
- The following exercises can be done with or without added resistance: triceps presses, dumbbell kick-backs, dips behind back and one-arm triceps extensions.
Exercises that require gym equipment are triceps cable press-downs, one-arm cable reverse press-downs, lying triceps extensions, close-grip presses, lying dumbbell extensions, lying cross-face triceps extensions and dips.
- These exercises can be done with or without added resistance: 21s, biceps curls, alternate biceps curls, concentration curls, reverse curls and hammer curls.
Exercises that require gym equipment are standing barbell curls, preacher curls, incline dumbbell curls, lying dumbbell curls, two-handed cable curls and machine curls.